[Seaside] Home link

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Oct 19 16:01:47 CEST 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 3:27 PM, C. David Shaffer wrote:

> Yar Hwee Boon wrote:
>
>> Have read through the various threads such as "How to do the
>> ubiquitous  home button?", do we still do it by implementing
>> WAComponent#clearDelegate? Also, are there any consequences to
>> sending  #call: to a component multiple times? ie. I have a
>> navigation bar with  several links where each of them does a #call:
>> to show the respective  component. I'm trying to use the home link
>> to, well, go back to home.  Comments?
>>
> I'm in the same boat.  Until recently I haven't worried about it but
> now I can see the long delegation chains building up over time and
> session sizes are growing quickly as users navigate around.  So, I
> don't have an answer but I anxiously await the feedback of others on
> this topic as well.
>
> BTW, I don't see clearDelegate or even anything similar in 2.5b5.

I've just posted http://beta4.com/mc/seaside/Seaside2.5b5-avi.4.mcz ,
which includes a WAComponent>>home method that acts much like
#clearDelegate.  Note, however, that this may not solve your session
size problem - I think I've found a memory leak to do with
continuations in 2.5 that wasn't there in 2.3, that will cause sessions
to grow much bigger than they ought to.  As far as I know this is the
last bug that needs fixing before taking 2.5 out of beta, though of
course I'd love to hear about any others.  It's a nasty one, though,
and I don't think I'll have time to do anything about it until the
weekend at best.

BTW, David, anything further to report on your testing framework?  Are
you using it successfully?

Avi