SeasideTesting status (was Re: [Seaside] Home link)

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Tue Oct 19 20:15:12 CEST 2004

Avi Bryant wrote:

> BTW, David, anything further to report on your testing framework?  Are
> you using it successfully?

Our semester started in August so I haven't done much with it since
then.  I did make several improvements since my first "release" and I
continue to use it successfully for several component sets.  I have a
student doing his senior project with Seaside and he has promised to
test thoroughly...that should help point out problems.

I recently ran into a problem with the new initialization mechanism.
 From memory...one of my tests requires that I manually create the
instance of the application to be tested (I forget why at the moment).
The problem is that the session access in initializeDecoration doesn't
happen in the context with the session bound correctly (it happens in my
test case's context).  So, for the immediate future I hope to deal with
that and (from my TODO list):

    . clean up the threading hoops I have to jump through to get tests
to run without deadlocking
    . have live test cases in the history view so you can manually walk
through them
    . display the request that was submitted in the history view (so you
can see what form values were supplied)
    . support limited remote test cases (ones that don't directly access
the component)
    . port to VW

I'm going to reply to Roger's post about SmallHttpUnit since there seems
to be some overlap in these two works despite my tight integration with
Seaside.

David

--
C. David Shaffer