[Seaside] Profile link statistics

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Oct 27 11:38:21 CEST 2004

On Oct 27, 2004, at 11:24 AM, Yar Hwee Boon wrote:

> I was trying out the profile link in the toolbar and noticed that if
> the profiler says 10msec/100msec, the actual time taken for the page
> to load is about sub-second/3-4 secs. I was wondering what I can read
> from these, eg. why does it say 100msec instead of 3-4 seconds, etc.
> Thanks.

Well, the profiler is measuring the time spent generating the final
response.  It doesn't measure:

- time spent processing the request
- time spent redirecting to the response page
- time spent sending the finished response to the browser
- time spent by the browser rendering the page

If you're on a local connection those last three should be negligible,
so the problem may be in the first one.  If you do a large GOODS commit
in your callback, for example, that wouldn't get profiled (though for a
given callback it's easy enough to wrap it in MessageTally spyOn:).

Avi