[Seaside] Profile link statistics

Yar Hwee Boon hboon at motionobj.com
Wed Oct 27 12:32:14 CEST 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:38:21 +0200, Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:

> Well, the profiler is measuring the time spent generating the final
> response.  It doesn't measure:
>
> - time spent processing the request
> - time spent redirecting to the response page
> - time spent sending the finished response to the browser
> - time spent by the browser rendering the page
>
> If you're on a local connection those last three should be negligible,
> so the problem may be in the first one.  If you do a large GOODS commit
> in your callback, for example, that wouldn't get profiled (though for a
> given callback it's easy enough to wrap it in MessageTally spyOn:).

I'm on a local connection and I don't think those are significant because
if I view a simple page its sub-second. As you described, that only leaves
us with time taken to process the request. I'm showing a WATableReport
subclass with a WABatchedList subclass, so its a pure view-only page
showing a 600+ element list with 10 per page. What I do is to move around
pages using the batched list links, and the callbacks do not take much
time (just setting a page number). Are there any other areas I can look
at? BTW, I'm running on Win XP Pro, Squeak 3.7 using IE6/Opera, in case
anyone has a similar setup could share anything, thanks.

--
Regards
HweeBoon