[Seaside] thoughts on semi-real-time application

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Oct 28 23:00:36 CEST 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 10:52 PM, Kamil Kukura wrote:

> Nevertheless I'm pondering about an application for making
> appointments. Scenario is simple: you go to website of company or
> other institution and will be presented with calendar. You can
> pre-reserve on some time/date. You can only see how many outstanding
> requests are there for given time. From the company' side someone can
> pick your request and make an appointment.
> As this is all about time, it needs refresh from browser quite often.
> To save traffic/load I am thinking about some periodic scripted
> XMLHttpRequest for polling with question if redraw is necessary. Also,
> I guess I must ensure that there will be no open forms waiting for
> input too long and solve problems such as possibility someone can
> outrun you while entering data into a form. Just thinking....

I don't understand the usage scenario here.  You think someone's going
to sit with a browser window open, watching for things to change on the
calendar?  Isn't it more likely they'd want to be notified in some
other way, like by an email telling them that there was a new request
(for the company) or a new appointment (for the user)?

Avi