[Seaside] Lists and ownership

Jim Menard jimm at io.com
Fri Oct 29 17:17:22 CEST 2004

I have a list of things (an address book), and I'm writing a simple Seaside
app to display the list and CRUD entries. I have a bunch of basic, related
design questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated. There are a lot of
questions here; answers like "go read XXX" would be just as helpful as direct
answers. I have read the few Seaside tutorials and docs I've been able to find.

Who should "own" the list of entries? Should I create the list as a class
instance variable of the entry class, or as a global entry in Smalltalk?

How should my WAComponents access the list: by holding a copy (won't
modifications to the list will be lost?) or by asking for the class instance
variable/Smalltalk entry every time they want to access the list?

What should I register for backtracking: the list itself? Each of the list
entries?

I'm looking at WATableReport, but I'm a bit confused about how to hand it my
list of entries. Do I need to create WAReportColumn objects for each instance
variable of each entry?

Are these even the right questions? :-)

Thank you for your help.

Jim