[Seaside] releases

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Sep 2 17:00:34 CEST 2004

I've put Seaside 2.5b4 up on SqueakMap.  The changes from b3 are:

- I've included Michel's snapshotting refactoring, so that objects can
determine how they are backtrack.  I decided that this was a small
enough, obvious enough, and backwards compatible enough enhancement to
go into the beta stream.
- Inst var info is now included in walkback pages,
- there's a liveCallback version of #selectFromList:,
- liveUpdate now uses timestamps to fool the IE cache (thanks Rado for
these last three)
- #passwordInputWithValue:callback:
- #submitButtonWithAction:image: works again (thanks Adrian)
- there's a new decoration, WASessionProtector, that restricts its
contents to a single client IP, to avoid session hijacking (thanks
Lukas)

I've also updated the 2.6a release to 2.6a-avi.4.  This includes a
first cut at the #forwarder mechanism that's been under discussion, as
well as all of the above fixes.

There is at least one known bug in both of these versions, which is
that page expiry is broken - if you click on an expired page inside an
active session, you'll get redirected to a blank response rather than
to the most recent point in the session as you are in 2.3.  This will
definitely be fixed before a full release, but I haven't had time to
address it yet.

Trying to maintain these two separate streams has really highlighted
for me a well-known weakness in Monticello, which is that it's
impossible to do a proper selective merge, bringing only some changes
from one branch into another.  Rather than continue to struggle with
it, I think it's time to finally just fix it.  Luckily, this has been
under heavy discussion on the Monticello list recently, and so some
solutions are on the table.  Hopefully I can put Camp Smalltalk at ESUG
next week to good use and get a preliminary version of selective
merging out.

I mention this here because I think that further work on Seaside will
be pretty much on hold for a couple of weeks while I do some intensive
Monticello hacking, and also because it's quite likely that future
releases of Seaside will require a new Monticello version.  Consider
yourself warned.

Cheers,
Avi