[Seaside] cleaning up in 2.5

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Sep 8 12:25:03 CEST 2004

On Sep 8, 2004, at 11:07 AM, radoslav hodnicak wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Jon Paynter wrote:
>
>> I have the same problem in my own images..  WASession and
>> WAApplication
>> objects dont want to get garbage collected, resulting in my VW images
>> exceeding 50mb when they should be around 17.
>>
>> I saw a revelant post in the archives about this, checked my image and
>> the fix appeared to be in place... yet session and application objects
>> wont go away.
>
> Set shared var Halos in WAHalo to nil. do "WARegistry
> clearAllHandlers".
> Garbage collect. If your sessions are still there you may have an
> inspector or debugger open or something, try to trace back the
> references.

Thanks for reminding me about the Halos problem.  Does anyone have a
suggestion of how to solve this (without ephemerons, which aren't
standard in Squeak yet)?  I realize that clearing the Halos dictionary
fixes it in the short term, but I don't like having to do that
periodically; there's not much point in having an expired session if
it's not also GCd.

Since Halos are a development tool only, we can be a bit sloppy about
them - for example, maybe we should clear the Halos dict every time
someone hits "toggle halos"?   In theory this would have annoying
effects if two people were using halos concurrently on the same image,
but that seems an unlikely case (and the consequences wouldn't be
*that* bad).

Avi