[Seaside] Internationalization

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Fri Sep 17 14:27:25 CEST 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Even when I use #updateRoot: to insert a meta tag with the correct charset
> it's not working. Attached is a short example. Hope the mail tools will
> not convert characters here.

Seaside sends http header content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
(WAResponse>>initialize) so you can insert meta tags all you want and it
won't have an effect. Change the response type. I for example use
windows-1250, you'd want iso8859-2 (latin2) for german I guess

> Any ideas how to correctly internationalize seaside applications? Any
> plans for that in the near future?

I use localized application, the only real problem is to enter localized
texts in squeak as literal strings. So I have a file with the translated
labels and use those as output. Browser will return form data in the
encoding of the page (as you have discovered) and that can be saved
straight to the database etc.

rado