[Seaside] REST and Seaside

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Fri Apr 8 17:58:37 CEST 2005

As many of you know, I've been running Bountiful Baby on Seaside for
over a year now.  Well, the site has increased in popularity to the
point where the traffic appears to be a serious problem for Seaside.  I
have regularly been seeing memory footprints of the Seaside image up
around a gigabyte.  The latest image save was over half a gig.  And
occasionally I see image freezes over extended periods of time (half a
minute or so), and it is probably related to a huge image footprint.

During periods of inactivity, the image will (eventually) shrink to as
little as about 50 megs, so I think Seaside is doing it's thing OK.  One
way to test this is to grab the image and bring it over to a test
system, where there is little to no activity.  It's just that on the
production system, I occasionally I get bombarded with web requests, and
so the image grows to handle it.

Because of this, I've been seriously re-thinking the viability of
Seaside for Bountiful Baby.  It is absolutely great technology, but
alas, Seaside is memory hungry.  It's not a problem for a small site,
but as the site grows in popularity, it becomes more and more of a problem.

So, I guess I'm looking for input from you guys.  If I replaced Seaside
with something else, I'd probably just use standard web REST-style
technology, with all of its warts and all.  I'm not sure what else is
possible if you are trying to support a lot of traffic.

What would you do?  Looking for advice from anybody who cares to give it.

I'd also like to stay with Squeak-- so what frameworks would you suggest?

Thanks all!

Nevin