[Seaside] REST and Seaside

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 18:43:30 CEST 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 5:58 PM, Nevin Pratt <nevin at bountifulbaby.com> wrote:
> As many of you know, I've been running Bountiful Baby on Seaside for
> over a year now.  Well, the site has increased in popularity to the
> point where the traffic appears to be a serious problem for Seaside.  I
> have regularly been seeing memory footprints of the Seaside image up
> around a gigabyte.  The latest image save was over half a gig.  And
> occasionally I see image freezes over extended periods of time (half a
> minute or so), and it is probably related to a huge image footprint.

Hi Nevin,

It's great to hear that your site is doing well.  It's not so great to
hear that Seaside is having trouble keeping up :).  Like Dmitry, I'd
love to hear some more numbers on this - when Seaside's getting up to
half a gig, how many concurrent sessions is that?  How many hits on
that day?

As far as I know, you're breaking new ground here - nobody else has
pushed Seaside to that point yet, which means that we've never had a
chance to optimize for it.  But I'm more than willing to put in some
time trying to bring that memory footprint back down to a reasonable
size, if you'd like to go that route.  And I'm pretty confident that
we can, simply because this isn't something we've tried very hard to
do yet.  I also suspect that it'll be a lot less work than
reimplementing your site in another style, and with greater long term
benefits...

Anyway, if you'd like me to take a look, the first step would probably
be to get one of those mammoth images up on FTP somewhere so we can do
some profiling.

Avi