[Seaside] REST and Seaside

Nevin Pratt nevin at bountifulbaby.com
Sat Apr 9 21:51:38 CEST 2005

David T. Lewis wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:58:37AM -0700, Nevin Pratt wrote:
>

>>As many of you know, I've been running Bountiful Baby on Seaside for
>>over a year now.  Well, the site has increased in popularity to the
>>point where the traffic appears to be a serious problem for Seaside.  I
>>have regularly been seeing memory footprints of the Seaside image up
>>around a gigabyte.  The latest image save was over half a gig.  And
>>occasionally I see image freezes over extended periods of time (half a
>>minute or so), and it is probably related to a huge image footprint.
>>

>Hi Nevin,
>
>I would guess that those large image saves could make your server
>appear to lock up for a half minute.

Well, yes, but no that is not what is causing it.

Yesterday I did an image save (to a different image file) *because* of
the performance problems-- it wasn't the image save that *caused* the
problems.

What is causing it is simple image bloat, with a lot of Seaside state
hanging around.  I think it is happening during garbage collection times
when the image is around a gigabyte large.  And, it's really not
surprising to see, given the size of the image when it happens.

I've got the session expiry time set large-- to 6000 seconds (100
minutes), but if I set the session expiry time lower than that, I start
getting complaints from the user community.  And of course, such a large
session expiry time is going to be a problem when the site starts
getting blasted with requests.

As I mentioned before, the image size seems to go back down after
awhile, so the sessions seem to be expiring and getting garbage
collected (eventually), just as we would expect.

Nevin