[Seaside] REST and Seaside

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 23:11:59 CEST 2005

On Apr 9, 2005 10:20 PM, Nevin Pratt <nevin at bountifulbaby.com> wrote:

>  I'm not inclined to re-launch my biggest images, because they are on the
> production machine right now.  And, I'm not too hip on trying to download a
> 1 gig image down to my dev machine.  But, I *did* look at the number of
> sessions that were around, and if I remember correctly, it was about 1500 of
> them.

Ok, 1500 concurrent sessions is a very big number; that's pretty
consistent with your image sizes, so I agree it probably doesn't have
anything to do with GLORP etc.  But even with a 100 minute time out
that sounds awfully high; do you really think you get, say, 10000
visitors per day?  Or is something else going on?  Either the peaks
are very, very heavy, or there's something wrong with the expiry.

One instrumentation that would help here would be to simply log every
time a session is created.  That should barely affect performance and
would be a good indication of what's going on.

>  I might have gotten hit with a DOS attack or something on Thursday and
> Friday, I don't know.  The traffic numbers certainly would seem to support
> that possibility.

Yes.  I wonder what strategies we can use to detect and cope with
that.  One I can think of is to link the expiry time  to how much the
application has been used: if all you do is request the homepage, your
session will expire very quickly, but if you look around a little more
you're given more time.  That seem reasonable?

Avi