[Seaside] utf-8 response conversion

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:54:42 CEST 2005

On Apr 10, 2005 5:48 PM, Pavel Krivanek <squeak3 at continentalbrno.cz> wrote:
> Seaside 2.5b8 seems to work well on Squeak 3.8 with appended patches. Avi,
> can you check them and include in the next releases of Seaside?

I've checked them, but I don't want to integrate them as is, because
that would break compatibility both with older versions of Squeak and
with VisualWorks.

Generally, I feel like Seaside should try to be pretty ignorant about
encoding issues - it should just be expecting to get a MultiString in
and push a MultiString out, I guess.  The messy business of going back
and forth to raw bytes should be the job of the underlying platform
and webserver - or, if (as with Comanche) the webserver doesn't handle
it properly, it should be done by the webserver's adaptor.

Given all this, I think the best approach would be to create a new
subclass of WAKom that does the conversions (rather than doing it in
the base WAKom, and rather than modifying WARequest).  Then people
running on Squeak 3.8 that wanted to use and see UTF8 data as
MultiStrings could just choose to start up (eg) WAEncodedKom instead
of WAKom, and nobody else would be affected.

Sound reasonable?

Avi