[Seaside] Re: What do you think about Ruby on Rails ?

Jon Paynter kittle at mail.yans.net
Mon Aug 8 22:37:57 CEST 2005

here is an example I use to demonstrate Smalltalk's debugging power.

I was working on a web based app and got to the point where I was showing it off to a friend.  The smalltalk image and webserver (It was VisualWave) was running on my local machine.
In the course of my friends navigation through my app, I got a walkback.  I hit debug, saw that the problem was I mispelled something in one of my Dictionaries.  So I fixed the spelling, re-initilized the dictionary, restarted the method, and the app kept running.

The big deal is:  My friend NEVER knew the difference.  All he saw as this one button click took 30seconds to come back, instead of the usual 1-2.

Try that with your file based languages =)