[Seaside] Some questions about Seaside architecture

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:11:06 CET 2005

On 12/13/05, Oleg Mürk <oleg.myrk at gmail.com> wrote:
>  No, not in Smalltalk. That's why I ask for Your experience/opinion.
>  But I DO have comparable experience from Java world.

Really, you don't. Believe me :). Smalltalk is different from Java,
and Seaside is different from anything you've encountered before.

>  Returning to application state, that is not valid any more:
>  * Edit record, archive record (so that one cannot edit it any more),
> back-back, edit archived record.

This is of course possible in any web environment, by using the back
button. So you need to deal with this in any case. Seaside makes it
possible to deal with it in a very clean way (which will help
motivating your developers to pay attention to this)

Hacks to defeat the back button are just that - hacks. They break the
user's web browser experience, and they cannot be used to lock down
the application - it is trivial to defeat any back button hack. So
your best bet is to accept the back button as a fact of life, and use
a web development environment that supports is well.

>  It is possible that I don't understand Seaside enough yet, but then You can
> enlighten me :)

Why would I? Just download it, and start playing with the examples.
Usually Seaside manages quite well to speak for itself :)