[Seaside] Graphing in Javascript

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 15:44:19 CET 2005

2005/12/16, Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com>:
> In my opinion it would be more portable
Portable to other browsers, yes. Portable to other Smalltalks no.

> (and probably also much faster),
On the client side yes, or until at least the drawing speed gets much
accelerated which seems to be something on the todo list of most
browser vendors.
But not on the server side.

> to port the JavaScript (it is not even that much code) to
> Squeak. This would give us a nice graphing library with a native
> object-framework. I think we already have most of the
> graphic-primitives and could easily draw similar graphics to forms ...
I'm not sure about antialiasing but yes if someone does it should not
be rather simple.

An other advantage is that you can save images generated on the server
simpler than canvas content.

A general issue that pops up again is javascript generation.
Scriptaculous generates javascipt, liveupdate does it, and right now
seachart does it too. I don't know for the other cases but my
javascript generation code is not very nice. The problem is there is
no general way in seaside to generate javasciprt besides the
serialization of basic objects like numbers, strings, and collections.