[Seaside] Send page as Email attachement ?

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Thu Dec 22 21:11:20 CET 2005

Wilkes Joiner wrote:
> On 12/21/05, Julian Fitzell <julian at beta4.com> wrote:
>
>>We generally had the heuristic of starting a new line and
>>indenting any time there was a child tag, and if there were no child
>>tags to put the content and the start and end tags on the same line.
>>But even this wasn't sufficient because, for example, the result of
>>having to text inputs with a newline between them and two text inputs
>>without a new line between them is actually different: in one case
>>they'll be separated by a space and in the other they will be touching.
>

> IIRC, this how whitespace is supposed to be handled in html.  All
> whitespace is shrunk down to one space.

No, I understand that n spaces is the same as 1 space.  But 1 space is
*not* the same thing as 0 spaces.

>>  It proved very difficult to come up with a well-defined pretty-printed
>>output that everyone was happy with.  That, more than anything, is why
>>Avi and I started using the unformatted output and if the option to
>>toggle between the two has disappeared, it's only because we just
>>weren't using it anymore.  Well, that and the fact that it was nicer
>>looking at our pretty-print than at "view source" anyway.
>

> For developing a Seaside app, I would not change a thing.  The view
> source trumps anything I've used in a dynamic framework.  I am
> (mis)using seaside as way to create a static website while working
> with graphic designers.  I prefer generating html via Seaside to
> writing it all out by hand.  I want to give the graphic designers some
> html to play with and tweak, mostly css and images.  So, an
> imperfectly formatted is acceptable.  It is not what will actually be
> rendered to the browser.

Ah, ok.  Not sure if you're aware, but you can just use a WAHtmlBuilder
without using all the session and component stuff on top of it.  And
yes, the view source tool as well as firefox, et. al.'s view-source
tools certainly beat having formatted html in the first place.

Julian