[Seaside] Re: OmniBase

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 09:49:13 CET 2005

> > My conclusion is that OmniBase probably never was tested,
> > never used in production or never really worked for concurrent images
> > accessing the same db.
>
> For Dolphin the above statement is false.
> I don't know about other dialects.

Sorry for being that rude, I don't know about Dolphin. We bought
OmniBase because we were told it is supporting mult-user/image access
and that it had been used in several productive applications with
heavy load. The only thing I am telling is that you have to take care
with multi-image access in VisualWorks and Squeak, because it simply
doesn't work out of the box and that you have to expect troubles where
you are on your own. OmniBase works fine in Squeak and I would
certainly use it again, as long as there is only one image.

> Interval>>includes: that is used by OSProcess to
> simulate Windows-Filesystem file-locking is extremely
> slow. A few days ago there was a discussion in the
> VisualWorks mailing-list and some years ago one in
> comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin about the bad performance
> of this particular method in ST80. Unfortunately this is
> not easy to fix and there are a lot of edge cases to
> take care of, but by writing good tests it would be easy
> to find a better solution.

After checking again, I have a small correction here: It is rather
Interval>>intersection: that is the bottel-neck of OSProcess, what is
more difficult to fix.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli