[Seaside] Re: OmniBase

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 10:02:31 CET 2005

On Dec 27, 2005, at 12:49 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Sorry for being that rude, I don't know about Dolphin. We bought
> OmniBase because we were told it is supporting mult-user/image access
> and that it had been used in several productive applications with
> heavy load.

Yes, and both of those things are true, they just might not be true
at the same time :)  As you say, OmniBase works fine in Squeak with a
single image, but it also works fine with light multi-image usage.
We have an OmniBase app where we do staged deployments of new images
fairly frequently, keeping old users on the original image while we
switch new users over to a new one.  There's concurrent usage for an
hour or so every time that happens.  We also routinely do database
backups and maintenance (data migration, imports, etc) from a second
image while the main image continues to serve users.  This app has
been running rock solid for something like 2 years now, and the only
data integrity problem we ever had was when the server ran out of
disk space (oops...).

But, yes, trying to take advantage of a 4-way server by having 4 load
balanced Squeak images all accessing the same OmniBase data all the
time certainly turned out to be a lot more trouble than it was worth,
IMO.

Avi