[Seaside] MessageNotUnderstood: WAAnchorTag>>context

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 10:03:01 CET 2005

On 12/29/05, Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/28/05, Ben Matasar <matasar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I also have this problem, but with SUExample.
> >
> > WACounter works fine, which I assume is because it doesn't use the Canvas.
>
> There was some work I started to get WAAnchorTag using real WAUrl
> instances instead of strings as URLs, but it never got finished (IIRC
> I was waiting for Lukas to finish it off for me :).  FWIW, the version
> I'm currently using (which definitely works) is Seaside2.6a2-ac.76.

I tried to finish (Seaside2.6a2-lr.74), however supporting string URLs
(String) and object URLs (WAUrl) is not that easy because it requires
some conversion between the two. Especially parsing a string is
difficult and requires a lot of ugly logic, as you can see in
WAUrl>>fromString: in Seaside2.6a2-lr.74. I vote to only support URLs
as objects, but that would break existing code and probably would be
less efficient.

Another thing that stopped me from finishing, was that the default URL
returned by WAAnchor wasn't the base-path of the application but the
current URL, that led to problems when I wanted to link to a parent
(within the directory tree of Pier). So there is even more logic
required: most applications that do not modify the URL probably want
to keep the current URL, but those that modify it want to start from
the base-path.

I guess there is some abstraction missing here, however I wasn't able
to fix that in a straight forward way, so I stopped for now. If nobody
else is proposing a solution I will certainly work on it again as soon
as it becomes inevitable for Pier.

Cheers,
Lukas

--