[Seaside] Hello!

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 11:52:54 CET 2005

> I wonder if storing objects directly in the squeak image in some
> collection is the reasonable way to go? I've read a little about it
> on some wiki page, but it mentioned that it may cause data loss. Is
> anybody using this technique?

Have a look at the recent `persistence for lazy people' thread
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2005-November/thread.html#6157

> Is there any code that does this,

SmalltalkImage current saveSession (can be combined with OSProcess to
fork the image)

> Also, I've read about object-oriented DBMS, but wasn't able to find a
> good multi-platform solution.

OmniBase
GOODS
Magma (already noted)

*whatever I forgot*

> I'm asking all these questions just to understand what is the common
> way to solve the persistency issue, so forgive me if my questions
> sound dumb or ignorant. I really tried googling for all these stuff,
> but unfortunately didn't find anything sensible.

There is no common way. Everyone does what fits he's needs best.
The simplest this that could possibly work is probably a combination
of save image and reference stream. And yes, this is used in
applications.

What's there else:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/512
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3582