[Seaside] Is refreshing a pageA faster than loading pageA from pageB?

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:33:32 CET 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:14:27 +0800, Yar Hwee Boon <hboon at motionobj.com> wrote:
> It seems that refreshing a page (A) takes longer than going from
> another page (B) to A. For. eg go to the counter application, click ++
> and note the time taken to load, now refresh the page, does it load
> slower than when you click ++? Why is this so?

It depends on the browser, but I know that for Firefox, reloading will
pull in all the associated stylesheet and script files, whereas just
clicking on a link will use the cached versions.  I'm not sure why it
does this - Seaside puts out headers for them that should mean they
never expire.  But it seems like Firefox assumes that when the user
explicitly hits reload, they want *everything* reloaded (which is the
behavior I usually only expect for shift-reload).

It's pretty annoying, actually - I tend to try to find a no-op link on
the page rather than reloading.  If anyone knows how to fix this I'm
all ears.

Avi