[Seaside] Paths to pictures in CSS

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Sun Feb 20 14:16:11 CET 2005

mimik at centrum.cz wrote:

>Hi, i am newbie with Seaside. I am trying to display a background image on a web page, which is declared in CSS file like that:
>
>    body { background: url('back.png'); }
>
>but I don't know where do I have to put the back.png file, in which directory. I am testing in on my localhost, so the URL path is http://localhost:9090/seaside/test. I think I must tell Seaside that this URL responds to some directory on my disk, some sort of Web root like in Apache, but I can't find it. Can you help me?

If you started Seaside with "WAKom startOn: 9090" (or whatever port
number you choose) then the Comanche web server isn't serving plain
files.  Use this to restart the server so that it will serve files from
a directory called FileRoot in your squeak image directory (you can, of
course, use any path you like):

| ma seaside |
    HttpService allInstancesDo: [:each | each stop. each unregister]
    seaside := WAKom default.
    ma := ModuleAssembly core.
    ma serverRoot: (FileDirectory default directoryNamed: 'FileRoot')
fullName.
    ma alias: '/seaside' to: [ma addPlug: [:request | seaside process:
request]].
    ma documentRoot: (FileDirectory default directoryNamed:  'FileRoot')
fullName.
    ma directoryIndex: 'index.html index.htm'.
    ma serveFiles.
    (HttpService startOn: 9090 named: 'httpd') plug: ma rootModule

Then, place your bank.png in this "FileRoot" directory and change your
CSS to:

   body { background: url('/back.png'); }

So that it uses an absolute URL (not relative to seaside).

Hope this helps!

David