[Seaside] Re: Seaside/Squeak/Swazoo - how to get going

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Mon Feb 21 21:07:31 CET 2005

chris at workinglinux.com wrote:

>Ummm, I have a 3.6 image that I did a 'load all code updates' and
>'upgrade all installed packages' before I tried to install.  I saw those
>instructions in the SqueakMap, and followed them.

It works fine under 3.7.  I don't expect Tomcat to run under Java 1.2
anymore...Seaside/Comanche are of similar ilk.  They generally stay with
the latest stable version of Squeak...currently 3.7.  Is there another
factor motivating you to work with 3.6?  If so, you can probably make
things work but I wouldn't expect it to be as easy as under 3.7.  It is
likely that things can be made to work by loading an older version of
KomHttpServer (and maybe other packages too?).  Others would certainly
know more about it than me...I'm just here to encourage you to keep at it.

>When I tried to evaluate all that whole start up script, I got a message
>saying that Object didn't understand the initialize message.
>ModuleAssembly does 'super initalize', which got passed all the way to
>Object.

I vaguely recall that new now, as of 3.7, automatically sends initialize
and Object has a default empty version.  So, add:

initialize
    ^self

to Object...that will take care of this particular problem.

>I commented out that 'super initialize', and got the same message from
>ModCore.  At that point, I quit spending time on it - I figured I was
>missing something obvious since I am a n00b to all this.

Don't give up!  Seaside is worth it :-)  I hope you can either switch to
3.7 or find the determination to get things working under 3.6.

>I must be a total dork, because when I try to use SwazooSeaside, my web
>browser reports 'page contains no data'.  Sheesh.

Nope, or if so than I am too...  The Universes effort seeks to remedy
this for future releases of Squeak (then package releases will be more
carefully tied to Squeak image versions).

>*Sigh*

Been there... :-)

David

--