[Seaside] Re: Seaside/Squeak/Swazoo - how to get going

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Feb 24 09:03:35 CET 2005

Hi!

Sorry for not noticing this thread earlier.

"C. David Shaffer" <cdshaffer at acm.org> wrote:
> chris at workinglinux.com wrote:
> >Ummm, I have a 3.6 image that I did a 'load all code updates' and
> >'upgrade all installed packages' before I tried to install.  I saw those
> >instructions in the SqueakMap, and followed them.
> >

> It works fine under 3.7.  I don't expect Tomcat to run under Java 1.2
> anymore...Seaside/Comanche are of similar ilk.  They generally stay with
> the latest stable version of Squeak...currently 3.7.  Is there another
> factor motivating you to work with 3.6?  If so, you can probably make
> things work but I wouldn't expect it to be as easy as under 3.7.  It is
> likely that things can be made to work by loading an older version of
> KomHttpServer (and maybe other packages too?).  Others would certainly
> know more about it than me...I'm just here to encourage you to keep at it.
>
> >When I tried to evaluate all that whole start up script, I got a message
> >saying that Object didn't understand the initialize message.
> >ModuleAssembly does 'super initalize', which got passed all the way to
> >Object.
> >

> I vaguely recall that new now, as of 3.7, automatically sends initialize
> and Object has a default empty version.  So, add:
>
> initialize
>     ^self
>
> to Object...that will take care of this particular problem.

Yes, and that may very well be the only thing. But darn, yes - the
releases of KomHttpServer obviously then aren't marked correctly. I will
take a look (currently it seems all releases are marked for 3.6, which
obviously is wrong - this initialize thing appeared in 3.7).

> >I commented out that 'super initialize', and got the same message from
> >ModCore.  At that point, I quit spending time on it - I figured I was
> >missing something obvious since I am a n00b to all this.
> >
> Don't give up!  Seaside is worth it :-)  I hope you can either switch to
> 3.7 or find the determination to get things working under 3.6.
>
> >I must be a total dork, because when I try to use SwazooSeaside, my web
> >browser reports 'page contains no data'.  Sheesh.

Swazoo I know nada about. :)

> Nope, or if so than I am too...  The Universes effort seeks to remedy
> this for future releases of Squeak (then package releases will be more
> carefully tied to Squeak image versions).

Yes, and also the new dependency model will also have a similar positive
effect.

> >*Sigh*

Feel free to email privately if you need my more immediate response, I
am a bit flooded these days. :)

regards, Göran