[Seaside] WADateSelector - invalid date handling

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 23:36:38 CET 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:30:05 -0500, C. David Shaffer <cdshaffer at acm.org> wrote:

> Hmm, with Seaside 2.5b7 and Squeak 3.7full image I get 3/3/2005 which
> definitely isn't the correct behavior either altough it makes a little
> more sense than what you're seeing.  What version of Squeak are you
> running?  My tutorial was written under 3.6...obviously something has
> changed with date handling so that invalid dates are no longer an error
> in the Date class.  Frustrating.  I can offer a patch to preserve the
> behavior of isValid.  I could also patch the WADateSelector>>date method
> to validate the date.  This would preserve the existing behavior in
> WADateSelector.  Avi, any thoughts on this?  "don't care" counts, I
> guess :-)  Hell, I've just attached the patch, reasonbly close to
> preserving the previous behavior of #date and #isValid.

Yep, that looks reasonable - I'll commit a version that includes it as
soon as SqueakSource comes back to life.

Lots of stuff with Date broke in 3.7 - very frustrating, I agree.  The
Chronology changes were, IMO, rushed in way too quickly.  There's lots
of interesting cool stuff, and ANSI support is nice, but I hate to see
the semantics change without warning on such a basic class as Date...

Avi