[Seaside] Novice Seaside Question

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Sat Jan 15 15:35:57 CET 2005

Hey Rick,

Glad to see you're back to Squeak-ing...especially since you're one of
the ones that convinced me to look at it seriously.  Anyway, I don't
think that this kind of project is a good match for Seaside.  You could
certainly use flash to implement the editor but the bulk of the
student's work would be learning Flash.  Seaside would have little, if
anything, to do with the project.   Maybe a go-between for picture
persistence etc.

I've used Seaside as small parts of two courses now: programming
languages and our "web applications development" (a variant of Special
Topics).  In both cases I went with more traditional projects.  One was
a PIM (calendar and address book?  maybe just calendar).  I can't recall
the other project off the top of my head.  Depending on the skill level
of your class you might consider some kind of content management
system.  I'd think you could get a lot of the SE principles into
designing such a system.  <shameless-plug>Also, take a look at
SeasideTesting if you plan to do any XP.</shameless-plug>  Some other ideas:

    . simple blog
    . bookmark manager
    . aggregator (web pages, blogs etc)
    . mailling list manager
    . image repository/scrapbook maker
    . web e-mail client

I'm always looking for ideas so I don't have them develop yet another
shopping cart :-)  I'm sure others have ideas as well.  You could always
fall back on inventory management...which usually translates to a
program for them to manage their collection of DVD's :-)  Anyway, in my
experience if you put GOODS and Seaside together the sky's the limit.

Best wishes and keep in touch,

David Shaffer
Westminster College
New Wilmington, PA 16172