[Seaside] Rolling with Ruby on Rails vs. Seaside

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Thu Jan 27 15:13:27 CET 2005

Dmitry Dorofeev wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I red recently 'Rolling with Ruby on Rails'
> Rails is super productive new way to develop web applications :-)
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rails.html?page=1
>
> I see that it is usual template based system, with good GUI and
> good OO language. But it looks promising in terms of UI and
> overall support of development. I.e. Default Web forms to
> edit/delete/ objects in DB. Automatic creation of neceserry
> files, classes, reflection.

The default forms you mention is AFAIK not comparable to Mewa. All you
can do with it is to edit one "flat" row of database table, where you
show one form-element per column (which form-element you show depends on
the column-type, if it's DATE, then you show a date-selection field, if
it's VARCHAR, then you show a single-line edit field, if it's TEXT, then
you show a textarea and so on...). AFAIK, it can't handle automatically
relationships to other tables.

Implementing such a "scaffolder" as Rails has, is pretty trivial. I've
done something similar for my Wee-Framework (which is Seaside2 like, but
in Ruby).

> Is there something similar in Seaside/Mewa ?
> Or any comments, comparasions between Seaside/Rails ?
> I just trying to figure what technology to use as a base for custom CMS

Seaside is IMHO much better suited for highly dynamic
web-applications. Rails has "nice"-URLs, that's the biggest advantage I
see on
their side (and of course it's a "hype").

BTW, there's also an OR-M solution like ActiveRecords where you can
define your domain-objects purely in Ruby. You don't have to use
graphical SQL editors and such. It's called Og (ObjectGraph) and is part
of another Ruby web-framework called Nitro: http://navel.gr/nitro.

Sorry if this was a too Ruby-centric post...

Regards,

   Michael