[Seaside] [ANN] Component library for Seaside

Pavel Krivanek squeak3 at continentalbrno.cz
Fri Jul 8 08:59:15 CEST 2005

> > Hi all,
> >
> > thanks to Pavel Krivanek, we are proud to announce new project at
> > SqueakSource. It's named ShoreComponents and it already contains some
> > code :-)
> >
> > Shore Components project is a library of building blocks for Seaside.
> > Currently it contains only few of them, but we hope that the project
> > can serve as the meeting point for those people asking in mailing
> > lists for such a library again and again.
>
> Cool.  Thanks so much for stepping up and doing this.  And from
> watching the commits on SqueakSource, it seems like you guys are
> moving along at a great pace.
>
> Can we get a live demo of this up somewhere that I can link to from
> seaside.st?

I will try to establish it. I hope it will be possible.

> > Also all the Seaside experts are welcome to help the project doing the
> > code review and bugfixes (right now there is one we can't solve yet,
> > concerning caching of images)
>
> Can you describe it in more detail?

Every ShoreComponent can contain attributes. The root component contains
special attribute called session cache.  It’s a dictionary of URLs and
documents. When a component generates a picture, it remembers the URL
generated by Seaside and saves it with this picture into the session cache
under unique name. When the component wants to generate the picture again,
it takes only the URL from cache.

The problem is that it doesn’t work perfectly. Sometimes it switches the
pictures or doesn’t show the images at all. It’s interesting that the
frequency of cache failures sinks with every new user session.

-- Pavel