[Seaside] About federating the tutorials

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Thu Jul 21 10:44:01 CEST 2005

Hi david

We should discuss that at ESUG.

>> Hi all
>>
>> I would like to know what do you think about the idea to use the
>> Seaside Wiki to put together
>> the tutorials that have been developed independently so far.
>> Because now we have several website around and this is not an
>> homogenous media. If we play it well,
>> we could slowly build enough to get in the future a book or booklet
>> on seaside.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> I think that the variety of tutorials out there is a positive thing.
> While I see some advantages to uniting separate efforts, I don't see a
> need for taking existing materials and trying to build a "master
> tutorial" out of them.   I'm trying to build a tutorial
> (http://www.shaffer-consulting.com/david/Seaside) and I would be happy
> to place it on a Wiki to get contributions from others but I've got a
> vision for it that I'd like to see through (at my excrutiatingly slow
> pace, sorry).

I can understand :)

>   I wouldn't want it to become a conglomeration of existing
> tutorials.  I'd prefer it if people going through my tutorial had as
> many different sources (at varying levels) of information on each
> topic
> as possible.  In fact, I count on it.  Anyway, my work is quite likely
> not be the best starting place (Alexandre Bergel's slides have better
> examples and are in general more attractive).

I should check them because I forgot them :)

> So, in your proposal where our materials overlap are mine abandoned?
Not at all,
but it would be nice to have a kind of common umbrella because again
if we all do the same kinds of starting with seaside, then we do not
have
energy for the rest.

> Has anyone else piped
> up?  Maybe privately?

Not really.

I agree with you. Now my real problem is that there is not one single
and deep tutorial. May be
it would be nice if you identify places where you would like to have
some help.

Please continue yours. I would like to be able to give it to my
students and I do not have the time
to do one again myself. I will redo completely and send you feedback.

My impression is that we are all re-explaining all over the same,
while if we could have a
central place with
So I was thinking that it would be nice to have a place where people
can really add new points
or chapters into a kind of Seaside tutorial (I should send you the
typos I found in yours).
(When I did the tutorial with a student,  I did also is to separate
female male encoding of the domain from the UI-
I just saw that you did that too).

The idea with having a wiki-based site (may be with an editor mode)
is that we could go faster.
What would be great is that if we could have a some booklet for
seaside. I could help.
We could also have a quick-ref. Having even a print on demand book
could be
a sign that the community is maturing and I could help on that.

Stef