[Seaside] Re: Garbage Collection

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Wed Jun 8 22:34:45 CEST 2005

Günther Schmidt wrote:

> What I didn't expect was for all of these instance to still be there
> after 15 minutes, I had expected for them to be garbage collected after
> more than 600 seconds had passed.
>
> How come they didn't clear out of memory?

Here are the steps I wrote yesterday, in the "Panic button" thread.

WARegistry clearAllHandlers.
-Nuke the Halo class var in WAHalo
-nil out all inst vars of all instances of "SASession allSubclasses"
Smalltalk garbageCollect.

I usually run through these steps when my image has grown
too large (i.e. 60Mb before, 25Mb after). If you don't have
SASession subclasses then you can skip that step. I figured
out the middle two steps by following the object reference
(when my image got to big, and rebuilding one from a
released version seemed too problematic - since it's
a 3.6 Squeak image and all the Squeak Map packages
have since changed).

--yanni