[Seaside] Re: Java vs Squeak Page

Adrian Sampaleanu adrian.s at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 11 05:18:57 CEST 2005

Actually, the two frameworks I mentioned, Echo (from NextApp) and WebOnSwing
are quite different than others. We use Echo at work for quite a
sophisticated application and can liken it to programming a Swing
application (define windows, panels, components, layouts and specify event
handlers for various interactions. Component re-use is quite high and you
don't need to concern yourself with HTML - the server-side components emit
the correct markup. The UI abstractions both of these frameworks employ are
much higher than others (Tapestry, JSP/JSF + Struts, etc). If one must
program in Java, I would strongly recommend one of these over the
alternatives.

Here are some demos of the current version (the one we use)
http://www.nextapp.com/products/echo/demo/ and the next generation v2 alpha
(uses the AJAX buzzword)
http://www.nextapp.com/products/echo2/demo/

BTW, Echo is open source - NextApp sells a suite of commercial components
for it (EchoPoint is the open source component set) as well as a GUI
builder, EchoStudio.

Cheers,
Adrian