[Seaside] HTTP Post

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 14:03:35 CEST 2005

On 6/22/05, David Shaffer <cdshaffer at acm.org> wrote:

> Another thing to think about...does your external agent really need to
> interact with Seaside, per se?  I find Comanche modules (basically
> "Servlets") quicker to write for applications that _only_ deal with
> automated agents.  The control flow is much more constrained than an
> interactive app.  You can have the same Squeak/Comanche server serving
> out Seaside and non-Seaside applications.  They can even share most of
> their code.  There are examples of Comanche modules all over your image
> (look for implementers of processHttp).  Learning to configure Comanche
> and be a bit of a headache but once you've got it it seems quite simple
> :-)  I can provide a more complex example that elaborates on this if
> you're interested.

I used to do that too, but I've started doing subclasses of
WAEntryPoint instead.  These can be extremely simple: just implement
#handleRequest: which takes a WARequest and is expected to return a
WAResponse.  If you implement #description on the class side, they'll
show up in /seaside/config and you can assign them paths in the same
namespace as your seaside apps (they'll show up in the same menu as
Seaside Application).  That stops you from having to bother with
Comanche config.  If you get ambitious, you can also override
#configurationComponent...

Avi