[Seaside] Re: Seaside Apps Web Hosting

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:20:35 CEST 2005

On 6/27/05, goran at krampe.se <goran at krampe.se> wrote:

> Anyway, the specific numbers for unixshell-96 ($20/month) are:
>         96Mb RAM (192Mb swap), 9 Gb disk, 96 Gb traffic, 1 IP and 1 snapshot
>
> 10 Euro is about $12 I think, so the 64-offering from unixshell seems
> like a closer match.
>
> For the other plans (there are even cheaper ones) see:
>         http://www.unixshell.com/index.php?page=services
>
> I am very satisfied so far anyway. :)

My main concern with unixshell has been CPU.  From what I can tell,
1MB of RAM in their packages maps to about 1 bogomips of CPU, which in
turn maps (very roughly, of course) to about 1Mhz of x86 CPU - so a
unixshell-96 isn't guaranteeing any better performance than you would
get from a Pentium 100.  The small amount of benchmarking I've done on
a unixshell-192 seems to bear this out.  So while I'd use those boxes
for mail or mainly static sites (I use one for a wordpress blog and
it's been fine), I wouldn't expect to run many Squeak/Seaside apps on
them.

Avi