[Seaside] odds and ends

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Wed Jun 29 17:03:23 CEST 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Avi Bryant wrote:

> Just a few assorted Seaside-related things that have been on my mind
> (I guess if there was a Seaside blog, these would be postings
> there...).

I thought you have a blog or two.

> - I've earlier mentioned the Prototype javascript library as something
> we might look at supporting.  Script.aculo.us is a recently announced
> superset of Prototype that's even more compelling; particularly nice
> is its support for drag and drop (allowing you to replicate, say, the
> drag-and-drop reordering of todo items in Backpack, or the slick
> shopping cart of the Panic.com store).  I've committed a very brief
> start at a package to wrap this for easy Seaside use to the
> SqueakSource repository, but there's lots more to be done there if
> someone wants to pick it up.

I'm undecided on this, mostly because I don't really understand what these
scripts do. I'm using some xmlHttpRequest stuff now, which uses
javascript, but it's basically just callbacks. I like and want to keep all
logic in smalltalk. I don't know what to think about actions like
reordering of items *in* browser and then somehow update the server state,
it doesn't sound very good to me

> - Does anyone actually use, or understand, the full generality of the
> configuration framework from 2.5?  I was recently using a 2.3 app and
> remembered how relatively simple and friendly the config pages for
> apps were.  What would people think about a re-simplification, keeping
> some aspects of the 2.5 config (like the ability to define
> SystemConfigurations, with default values, in code, and add these to
> deployed app instances), but removing some of the more baroque parts
> (like the inheritance structure for configurations, and the idea of
> "site defaults" as an extra layer between the code defaults and the
> individual apps)?

Heh. Yeah, as 2.5 came out and I looked at the configuration framework, my
firt reaction was "Huh?". I use very little of its features

> - Mostly, when fixes have come in, I've been integrating them with the
> 2.6a branch but not backporting them to 2.5.  How important is it to
> do that backporting, and is there anyone that wants to take it on?  In
> general, I feel like I could use some help with release management
> tasks like bug tracking and integration.

I kinda have my own branch, since my changes to seaside are too numerous,
so I tend to apply fixes as they show up on the list (there haven't been
that many, though).

rado