[Seaside] odds and ends

Blanchard, Todd tobl at amazon.com
Thu Jun 30 01:17:54 CEST 2005

Ah, back button support.  We've had a huge discussion around that recently.  Basically, partial page updates don't involve the back button.  If you back off of a "rich" page, then you are leaving the app.  OTOH, hitting forwards needs to take you back to the app just as you left it.  The trick to this seems to be to make  certain that the entire state of the app is represented in hidden form fields.

The browser will restore form fields when rolling backwards and forwards. We also put a lot of effort into bookmark-ability and this is a nut we are still trying to crack as the state data doesn't generally fit within a 2k url.