[Seaside] squeak dev tools, 3.8 stability etc

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Mar 10 08:27:20 CET 2005

Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at squeakland.org> wrote:
>   Radoslav,
>
> > I'm considering to move to 3.8 to be able to use newer dev tools (Avi,
> > monticello breaks in 3.6 on #translated), however I'm concerned about
> > stability and all the various changes squeak went through since 3.6
> > (Behavior>>new crap, unicode streams etc).
> >
> > Is anyone here running a serious (=large, heavily used) application in
> > 3.8? Any gotchas you've discovered? Please share your experience.
>
>   It shouldn't have too terrible migration problem.  KomHttp seems to
> have some problems, but all in all, the problems should be easily
> fixable.
>
>   So, once someone goes ahead and experiments it...

Ah, I will do that. But I don't feel that guilty because 3.8 isn't
released yet. :) Well, any day now... AFAIK Michael is working on the
final preparations.

There are at least two "gotchas" I am aware of - the new/initialize
behavior (a hack is to call basicNew instead of new if you are porting
code) and the #(true false nil)-thingy (which I posted a GOODIE about
recently.

Then of course we have the stuff related to m17n (like streams and
files, for example KomHttpServer that Yoshiki mentioned) but I am
guessing the issues in the image have been taken care of by Yoshiki and
the gang, the packages will just have to follow suit.

regards, Göran