[Seaside] Problem starting Seaside

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Fri Mar 25 13:04:55 CET 2005

Daniel Salama wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problems starting Seaside in my VM. I'm on OSX running
> 3.7.5Beta1. I've been running this version for some time and all of
> the sudden I cannot run Seaside anymore.
>
> I decided to download a fresh copy of Squeak for OSX and installed
> Seaside using the package manager. However, when I "do" WAKom startOn:
> 9090 in a workspace, I get the following exception:
>
> WAKom class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #unregister
> WAKom class>>pause
> WAKom class>>stop
> WAKom class>>startOn:
> UndefinedObject>>DoIt
> Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:logged:

This happens when you don't have Comanche installed when you first try
to "start" WAKom.  So, if you haven't already done so you need to
install the Comanche framework ("Kom"?) then you need to fix the class
instance variable in WAKom which is improperly initialized.  Inspect
WAKom and select the service variable.  Change its value to nil and
accept the change.  Then try your "WAKom startOn: 9090" again.

Avi, this bit me as well as several other users.  I suggest the
following change:

createService
    Smalltalk at: #HttpService ifPresent:
        [:hs |
        ^ (hs on: port named: 'seaside') plug: self default].
    Smalltalk at: #ComancheNetService ifPresent:
        [:cns |
        ^ (cns named: 'seaside' onPort: port) module: self default].
    self error: 'Comanche is not installed.  Install Comanche from
SqueakMap and try again.'

to head off the problem.

David