[Seaside] Seaside Performance

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Sat Mar 26 17:50:32 CET 2005

Avi,

As Brian Brown wrote, you are not missing anything. It was my
misunderstanding from something I had read a long time ago. From the
Apache web site, it reads:

--------------
  Security caveat

Basic authentication should not be considered secure for any
particularly rigorous definition of secure.

Although the password is stored on the server in encrypted  format, it
is passed from the client to the server in plain  text across the
network. Anyone listening with any variety of packet sniffer will be
able to read the username and password  in the clear as it goes across.

Not only that, but remember that the username and password  are passed
with every request, not just when the user first  types them in. So the
packet sniffer need not be listening at a  particularly strategic time,
but just for long enough to see  any single request come across the
wire.

And, in addition to that, the content itself is also going  across the
network in the clear, and so if the web site  contains sensitive
information, the same packet sniffer would  have access to that
information as it went past, even if the  username and password were
not used to gain direct access to  the web site.

Don't use basic authentication for anything that requires  real
security. It is a detriment for most users, since very few  people will
take the trouble, or have the necessary software and/or equipment, to
find out passwords. However, if someone  had a desire to get in, it
would take very little for them to  do so.

Basic authentication across an SSL connection, however, will be
secure, since everything is going to be encrypted, including the
username and password.

The last sentence is the one that clarifies the issue with SSL.

Thanks,
Daniel