[Seaside] API Documentation

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Tue Mar 29 15:25:19 CEST 2005

Marco Qualizza wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>   Is there API documentation available for Seaside?
>
>Marco

Marco,

In addition to the docs on seaside.st you can generate "API docs" using
Dandelion.  I generated them for 2.5b6:

http://www.cdshaffer.com/david/Seaside/dandelionOutput

however I never use them.  I find "browse", "senders" and "implementors"
are the best way to figure things out in Smalltalk.  Here's a quick run
through just in case you're new to Smalltalk (and please pardon me if
you are not).  As an example, say you want to understand the class
WABatchedList.  Just type it in your method (or a workspace), select it
and press alt-b (browse).  You'll be staring at a class browser on that
class.  Take a look at the class comment which should be visible in the
bottom most pane.  If you want to look for someone who uses the class,
right click on the class name (in the browser) and select "references"
(or just press alt-N).  Now you have examples of code that use this
class.  If you want to find out how to use a specific method, select the
method in the class browser, right click and pick "senders" (or just
press alt-n).  Most of the classes in the Smalltalk image are documented
by example.  Generally if I can't find an example in the "full" image
then I'm somewhat confident that the class doesn't work or has become
obsolete :-)

HTH,

David

--