[Seaside] WAImage implemented but a question and suggestion follows

Michel Bany m.bany at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 30 07:58:08 CEST 2005

Dmitry Dorofeev a écrit :

> Checked in debugger and i see that assignment was made in the block.
> But somehow value is visible only in the
>  block and not in method body. If I make errorText an instance var,
> then everything is working as expected.
> Is it Seaside specific, Smalltalk specific, Squeak (3.7) specific or i
> just missed something ?

This is the way Smalltalk works.
There are two different contexts. The one that deals with the output,
where #show: is sent to Transcript.
The other that deals with the input, i.e. the callback block. The later
is active a few seconds after the former,
(depending on end-user clicking speed). These two contexts do not share
their temporary variables, like
errorText. When you define errorText as an instvar, then it is shared.

Hope this helps.
Michel.