[Seaside] GOODS

Benjamin Pollack benjamin.pollack at gmail.com
Mon May 16 02:04:29 CEST 2005

On 5/15/05, Adrian Lienhard <adi at netstyle.ch> wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> I am not sure if this is related, but we had problems compiling and
> running GOODS on Debian a while back and what helped was using an
> earlier version of gcc (<3).
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian

Thanks, Adrian. Unfortunately, although there are known issues with
GOODS on GCC 4 and 3.3, switching to GCC 3.1 or 2.95 alone doesn't
work. I got it to compile by tweaking the headers, but the resulting
build is a bit crash-happy. (The longest I've kept it running in
actual usage was about 10 minutes.) If anyone wants to compile it on
Tiger themselves: in unisock.cxx, on line 35, add
"!defined(__APPLE__)" as one of the checks. Then, in ptask.cxx, on
line 12 where it checks for SGI, add Apple (!!?!). I'm assuming that
Tiger's BSD layer is now closer to FreeBSD, and that that is causing
the first error, but the kluge in pthread.cxx makes me nervous and may
be related to the stability problems. I'd really need a Panther system
to get a better idea of what really broke. Realistically, at this
point, I'm not going to have a chance to investigate this more until
at least May 29th when I get normal Internet again, but maybe the
above will be useful to someone before then.

--Benjamin