[Seaside] Iframe question

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:34:43 CEST 2005

On 5/17/05, Cédric Mesnage <cedric.mesnage at gmail.com> wrote:

> So the question is how to creates an anchor within the component which
> is rendered in the iframe (by the newly created RenderLoop) that
> targets the main frame and creates an url wich will be managed by the
> main render loop...?

Yes, that's a good question.  I don't have an answer to it right now.
I mean, you can get a reference to a component within the main frame
and send it #call:, but since you'll be in the dynamic scope of the
iframe's render loop, I think that's the one that will be triggered to
re-render.  It seems like doing this right would require each
component to explicitly know which render loop it belonged to (or,
more generally, to have a "parent" reference).  I've tried to avoid
those as much as possible, because it makes the tree more static: it's
nice to be able to reparent components without worrying about fixing
up the backreferences etc.  However, the main use cases for that may
be things that are now covered by decorations: for example, the
WAProfiler is currently a component that gets temporarily made the
parent of another one, but could almost certainly be implemented as a
decoration that gets temporarily added, instead.  And having the
parent links would be useful in other ways.  Something to look into
for 2.6...

In the short term, what if each click in the iframe started a new
render loop, with the appropriate root component, in the main frame?
Would that work?

Avi