[Seaside] Performance

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri May 20 09:03:22 CEST 2005

Hi guys!

stephane ducasse <stephane.ducasse at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi goran
>
> this would be nice that all the web developers could put some time on
> that
> and that we get a good socketStream in squeak.
> So please put that high on your agenda.

Well, SM is still at the top - though currently other things like the
3.8 release and "Coordinators"-stuff are even more important.

FastSocketStream is operational today - you can install it from SM, and
then just change the single reference to SocketStream in the
KomHttpServer code to use it. I use it in my HomepageBuilder app and I
really think I have exercised it quite a bit now.

The other improvements are in the KomHttpServer code and I intend to
include that in the next release of KomHttpServer. For some scenarios
(playing with "ab" - apache bench) the improvements more than double the
performance, and I vaguely remember that after fixing the first glaring
spots I ended up with the header parsing code as being the bottleneck,
and I think that can also be improved.

So well, at least you now know there is potential even in the HTTP
layer. And I have also chatted a bit with Bryce Kampjes that it would be
real fun to throw Exupery on that code to get the final boost sending
the competition to bed. :)

> Stef

regards, Göran