[Seaside] 2.5 sushi store shopping cart & back button

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 21:22:08 CET 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Blanchard, Todd wrote:

> I was under the impression that correct browser behavior was to
> issue a new request for all expired pages in the cache when asked
> to redisplay them. (And it may well be but apparently isn't
> implemented that way).

Seaside sets a No-Cache header, so its pages should always be
considered "expired".  But as a user, I actually hate the way IE
reloads when you use the back button - first of all, there might be
information there in the history that I'm interested in seeing that
will get wiped out on a reload.  Second, most of the time the stale
data is fine, and it's much faster if it just redisplays the cache
(recent versions of Firefox, I believe, go even further and keep the
parsed DOM in memory so that the back button is instant).  I can
always choose to hit reload if I want to see the updated version.

As a developer, IE's behavior does make some edge cases less likely -
for example, the classic one of deleting an item, hitting back, and
then trying to delete the same item again.  But you would still have
to handle them, because the user can still see stale content on
spawned windows even if they can't via the back button.  So there's
no actual gain.

> Web development can be so "extra fun" sometimes. :-/

Innit though?

Avi