[Seaside][VW] Portability

Michel Bany m.bany at wanadoo.fr
Sun Nov 20 15:19:10 CET 2005

Marco Qualizza a écrit :

> Hey all,
>
>     I'm sorry, but I haven't played with Squeak so I don't know all of
> the differences between Squeak and VW.  Doesn't Squeak use #printOn:?
> (Afaik, it's the standard Smalltalk mechanism for implementing
> toString-type methods, and, for example,
> displayString/debugString/printString (printing protocol) all use
> either #printOn: or #basicPrintOn: )....  Just asking...
>
>     Marco

Marco,
Yes, Squeak has #printOn: and #printString but it does not have
#displayString and #debugString.
On the other hand Squeak has #asString that VW does not and cannot have.
Since #asString may not be added to VW, Avi agreed to add #displayString
to Seaside and to use
it rather than #asString.
A problem is that if #asString is used in place of #displayString, it
may very well remain unnoticed
during the port.
The intention of these posts is to make as many people as possible aware
of this.
Crossing fingers,
Michel.