[Seaside] apache + seaside

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Nov 26 07:38:30 CET 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 04:04:37PM -0500, David Shaffer wrote:
> Ross Boylan wrote:

> With
> seaside+apache as a proxy you have these options out of the box  (that I
> know of):
>     1) have apache rewrite all URL's coming and going from your
> application (the link that I sent you describes how to do that)
> I almost always use 1 since I like to be able to hit the seaside server
> without having to go through the proxy.  In practice I have a separate
> space for seaside apps so the "/seaside" path works just fine for me.
> It's just a matter of proxying to the right port # (and from SSL to
> non-SSL).  I use this to switch between two production images as well.
> There is an article floating around on using rewrites to load balance
> with session affinity...I use this basic technique to switch between
> production images (not for load balancing, just to move new sessions to
> a newer version of my software).  If you really want more flexibility
> with URL mappings then you're probably going to have to struggle a bit
> to get there.  Keep us posted ;-)
> David
I've been trying this approach, but without much success.  I can get
the initial screen, but when I hit the form button, I end up with a
URL like http://www.betterworld.us:81/seaside/test (sometimes with
additional stuff tacked on) in the browser and a Not Found error.

I've tried to follow the instructions at the link you indicated, and
have played around with many variants.  I enabled debug logging and
ProxyHTMLLogVerbose, but it didn't help much.  It showed that mod_html
was rewriting stuff in the initial page.

My current variation is (with some other tries commented out)
	DocumentRoot /var/www/
	ServerName www.betterworld.us

	<Proxy *>
	Order deny,allow
	Allow from all
#	LogLevel debug
#	ProxyHTMLLogVerbose On
#	ProxyPass /upj http://localhost:9090/seaside/test
#	ProxyHTMLURLMap http://localhost:9090/seaside/test /upj

	ProxyPass /upj/ http://localhost:9090/seaside/test/
	ProxyHTMLURLMap http://localhost:9090/seaside/test /upj
	<Location /upj/>
	   ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:9090/seaside/test/
	   SetOutputFilter proxy-html
	   ProxyHTMLURLMap /seaside/test/ /upj/
#	   RequestHeader unset Accept-Encoding

#	ProxyPassReverse /upj http://localhost:9090/seaside/test

A couple of points in particular have been unclear to me.  Should I
include the port number at various spots?  And should I use a trailing
slash or not?  For the rules above I entered "upj/" at the end of the
line in my browser.

Enabled modules: proxy, proxy_http, proxy_html, various cache,
headers.  I note that caching was explicitly outside the scope of the
reference you cited; Debian turns it on when proxying is requested.
ProxyRequests are off and ProxyVia is on globally.

If I could capture the traffic going between different spots
(browser-apache-seaside) I think things would be a lot clearer, but
I'm not sure how to do that.

Any ideas, either for how to debug this or how to solve it?