[Seaside] apache + seaside

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Sun Nov 27 19:31:10 CET 2005

Avi Bryant wrote:

> I've been using Pound (http://www.apsis.ch/pound/) lately for load
> balancing and switching between images.  It doesn't do any URL
> rewriting at all (just proxies through to an internal port), but is
> fairly flexible about matching on URLs or headers (so you can rig up
> a vhost setup if you want, for example).  The nicest feature is that
> it tracks the status of the backend servers and fallback to a
> secondary server if the primary goes down.  I use that to lazily
> bring up images on demand - the fallback server just starts them up
> and passes on the request.

Yes, this is nice.  Thanks for the link.  My "failover" is more manual
than automatic :-) I have to edit a file and remove the dead server.  As
I mentioned, I'm not using this to support failover, more to support
migration to a new release.

> The least nice feature is that is has no way to change the
> configuration without an ungraceful restart, which drops any active
> connections.  It also seems to have some stability issues if you have
> keepalive turned on in the backend (so you need to disable that on
> comanche).

This latter issue isn't a problem with pound...Kom (or Seaside) has bugs
when used w/ keep alive.  These seem to be exacerbated when one puts a
proxy inbetween.  I've mentioned this at least once previously but noone
seems to know what the problem is.

> I'd love an equivalent of its fallback feature on apache, but haven't
> found it so far, and haven't felt inspired yet to write a custom module.

The only motivation for doing this seems to be if apache is serving
other content on the port you want to proxy from.  That is why I use
apache and not something like Squid (or Pound).  One could layer things,
putting the proxy server in front of apache and Kom.  I'd like to try
that at some point since I think it would be more flexible than what I'm
doing currently.  Unfortunately, like Ross, I'm happy to have something
working and haven't looked at it since...

David