[Seaside] i am dreaming of ...

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 20:47:03 UTC 2005

> I understand your point, and my suggestion may be very unSmalltalk-like,
> but there are lots of instances of people deploying from other kinds of
> environments in exactly the way I'm describing.

Yes, for other, file based languages this makes perfect sense.
There is a reason Smalltalk, the GUI as we know it and the concept of
image are so thightly coupled. The UI just like the image is a central
part of Smalltalk. If you remove it, you destroy value, you don't add
value.

> I, for one, do not want
> to be loading code live into my production environment.

Deployment of new versions is so simple if you just can open
Monticello, load the code and you're done. You don't have to take the
application down, you don't even have to kill sessions. Because of
this, you can deploy more easily, faster, and more frequently.
You need you update your OODB because you added an instance variable
and need to initialize it for all objects? No problem, wirte a little
script, put it on the class side and evalutate it.
You have so much more valuable debug information if you can access and
a  `real' image with compiler, debugger, process browser, workspace,

I can really understand your concerns. Before seeing it with my own
eyes I probably had the same. But believe me once, you worked with an
application that uses a `real' image, you'll want nothing else. Just
give it a try.